Thursday 28 January 2016

An Introduction

Hi. I'm Chris, and I like razor blades. "What a riveting hobby" you might think! Well, I know it's kinda boring but if you've found this blog then you must have Googled a review of a certain blade. So there....you're just as sad as I am. Get over it.

What I'm planning to do with this blog is simply log and review double sided razor blades, comparing one brand to another, and trying them all out. There are hundreds of different kinds out there, including vintage ones produced decades ago which survive wrapped in their little paper cocoons, ready to be used and enjoyed.

At 32 years of age I discovered the wonders of shaving with an old fashioned safety razor. The kind my dad shaved with, the kind his dad probably shaved with...and so on. I find it quite nice to think of that tradition going back, and to think that apart from the iPad streaming my music from the internet... much of the morning routine hasn't changed at all for over years and years.

Shaving used to be a huge chore to me. Something I did as little as often because it hurt, irritated my face, and was generally not a very nice experience. I started off shaving nearly 20 years ago with a Gillette Sensor Excel, before moving on to a Mach3 and then numerous iterations of the Fusion range. They were all much the same really: expensive, plastic, cheaply made. Some of them vibrated. All of them were pish.

I received a lovely Muhle R89 closed comb safety razor as a gift and I haven't looked back. I have discovered the incredibly therapeutic nature of a proper wet shave, and relish the half hour I can spend in the bathroom, away from wives, children, and the general hustle & bustle of family life. I love the ritual of the whole thing.

So there you go, now you know my shaving history and I can get on with the important task of buying and reviewing blades! I'll probably review the odd soap or cream too, but not razors themselves due to the fact that I only have one (so far!) and I have nothing to compare it against!

Cheers,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment